A Workshop on Financial Implications of Big Society will take place at the ICOSS Centre Boardroom, University of Sheffield, 10am to 5pm, 25 October 2011
Big Society Research is a project funded by Research Councils UK (RCUK) under their Connected Communities cross-council funding programme. The aim of Big Society Research is to harvest current research relevant to Big Society and place it under a single banner that can become an effective avenue for disseminating and achieving impact on local and central government, policy-makers and communities themselves.
Led by Prof Jane Binner, University of Sheffield Management School and facilitated by Tim Morley, Know Innovation, this workshop will be one of a series of four interdisciplinary themed workshops that will bring together and harvest research from RCUK-funded projects relevant to the Big Society. The outcome will be a portfolio of current Big Society activity in each of the four themed areas.
Through a hands-on working session with breakout groups, the workshop aims to begin to address the following fundamental questions:
- What are the financial implications of the Big Society?
- What factors are necessary for success and sustainability in a citizen-led initiative?
- What is the vision of the next-generation Big Society with citizen-led initiatives’ in mind that will build on the current successes but enable radically new citizen-led working practices?
The output of the workshop will be a report/paper on the Financial Implications of Big Society, which will bring together existing theories and research relevant to the questions above.
- 10:00 – Arrival and Coffee
- 10:30 to 10:40 – Welcome: Aims and Objectives of the Workshop by Professor Jane Binner, Chair in Corporate Finance, University of Sheffield
- 10:40 to 11:10 – Opening address: Professor Ron Hodges, Professor of Public Sector Accounting, University of Sheffield
- 11:10 to 13:00 – Round table presentation by each delegate: Core questions we are trying to answer / key themes
- 13:00 to 14:00 – Lunch
- 14:00 to 15:30 – Breakout groups: Fleshing out what we currently know about the questions
- 15:30 to 16:00 – Coffee break
- 16:00 to 16:30 – Identifying research gaps
- 16:30 to 17:00 – Plenary session wrap up and next steps
- 17:15 to 18:15 – Drinks reception in the foyer
- 19:00 – Dinner
Join our network:
In preparation for the workshop, we have setup a simple networking website. We hope that this will help you to get your mind into gear so that we can get off to a running start on the 25th. The site will also be used to post some basic administrative information about the event.
The site is private and access is restricted to “FIBS” attendees. You can register at: http://bigsocietyfinance.ning.com/?xgi=402ubyPFk3lC9k
For further information:
- For questions about the aims or content of the workshop, please contact Professor Jane Binner at email@example.com
- For questions related to logistics e.g. help booking accommodation please contact Barbara Butler at Barbara.Butler@sheffield.ac.uk
- For further information about the Big Society Research see: http://www.bigsocietyresearch.com/